Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop

My wife loves Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop and I have been meaning to try it ever since she came home raving about it. When my mom told us that she wanted to try something unique from Downtown to eat for Mother's Day, something that she couldn't get in the 'burbs, Lulu's immediately came to mind.
The last time my wife had been to Lulu's, it was in their old location. I was never lucky enough to make it to the old location, so I can only comment on the new location. The decor inside the new location looked like it was intended to appeal to the hipster crowd that longed to live in Bangkok. I mean that in the best possible way. The first thing you feel is the calming Thai ambiance, then you kind of notice the retro items that are inevitably associated with hipster culture. The wishing well pond in the middle of the foyer, as you walk in, is an example of the former. While the Thai Coke machine between the door and the bar is an example of the latter.

Other notable decor were: the wok style pans that had been turned upside down and made into functional lighting fixtures (the can be seen if you look very closely at the overhead lighting fixtures in the photos to the right. The wooden sliding doors was another good touch that was put up presumably to separate the dining room we were sitting in from the bar area if needed.

We started it all of with some steamed dumplings off of the Thai Street Food menu, as I am a huge street food fanatic. The waitress recommended the veggie variety, and now I recommend them, because they were amazing! Grab the chop sticks, dip the dumpling in the soy sauce with green onions and cilantro floating in it, enjoy the fresh veggie taste of awesomeness.

For my dinner, Mallory had the Thai Cashew Chicken, which is essentially regular cashew chicken that you would get at your standard Chinese restaurant just with no MSG and a less rich sauce. Solid option though. My mom got the Green Mango Salad (not pictured) that must have been great because she had already ripped half way through it before I could play paparazzi on it. The green mango is initially semi hard (similar to noodles) but is then softened to what one would think of as normal mango texture as it sits in the fish sauce from the salad.

I had the Khun Ma Pad Thai with tofu. I am not normally a tofu guy, all I know about tofu is that there are two main types (firm and soft). I asked the waitress which type was in this dish she replied "neither", to which I was perplexed and intrigued. She went on to explain that it was somewhere in between, she explained that it was not "fresh tofu", which would have completely turned me off to the option if I were any less adventurous (but I later looked up the term "fresh tofu" online and found that its just another name for non-processed tofu, not a statement of the tofu being spoiled). The tofu was was great, it was most nearly the consistency of french toast in light syrup. I ordered my dish as medium spiciness, and it was QUITE hot, I suggest ordering mild if you like it medium and medium if you like it hot. The flavors were great! The peanut sauce was great. The compliments of the squeezed lime, red cabbage, and eggs was perfect with the Pad Thai noodles. I defineately recommend this. As a health conscious individual, the portion was huge and was enough for dinner and lunch the next day. Another thing to notice is that the chopsticks at Lulu's are a pair of cylindrical chopsticks, unlike the ones found at typical Chinese restaurants that must be broken apart at the top, these are MONEY!

After our meal, my mom was mentioning how the only drawback in the Thai vs. Chinese battle was that Thai does not provide a fortune cookie with the meal, because she is a fortune cookie junkie. Then this little gem arrived with the bill. Well, actually 3 arrived, but who's counting? All in all, Lulu's was an awesome experience and we will be going back soon!



Lulu's Thai Noodle Shop & Satay Bar on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed your meal! However, I need to make one correction. Lulu's is 100% MSG Free!!! We have never, in the 15 years we have been operating, used MSG!!
    Thanks so much,
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will gladly edit the "less MSG" to no MSG. I appologize for the miscommunication.

    ReplyDelete