Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Minsky's Pizza

Minsky's Pizza is pretty much the gold standard that all other local pizza joints are measured by. Minsky's has 14 local locations, I have been to 4 or 5 of them, but the River Market location is my favorite. Its very close to my house, there are two levels and tons of TVs to watch all of the games that are on, and its also where my wife and I went on our second date.

One of the best things about Minsky's is that if you get on their mailing list, they send you a little birthday postcard for a free calzone within 2 weeks of your birthday. It had been quite some time since I had been to Minsky's and I thought that it would be the perfect time to return, nothing will get me to a restaurant like free food.

For my free 3 "topping" calzone (I use the term topping loosely, as they are really more like fillings than toppings), I chose pepperoni, salami, and Italian sausage. The calzone was stuffed full, the cured meats were great and very flavorful, it was overflowing with mozzarella (as you can see from the split section view to the right), and the crust on the pinched side of the calzone was reminiscent of a soft pretzel. The calzone was all around amazing, probably the most awesome calzone I have ever had. The calzones are also available with wheat crust, which I am a huge sucker for, but I did not notice this until after I had already ordered.

Since the great calzone experience I had, I have also had Minsky's pepperoni and combo pizzas. The pepperoni is good, but the combo is incredible. I love the slightly thicker than normal hand tossed (but not deep dish) crust, zesty sauce, and high piles of mozzarella that go perfectly with the black olives and an almost roasted tasting bell pepper of the combo pizza.

All in all, Minsky's is a great KC establishment. The Zona Rosa location is a great place to catch a Husker game that is on either PPV or the B1G Network, so my friend Dan tells me. The Prairie Village location is a great place to grab lunch, it is rarely packed and service is very fast. But River Market will always have my heart!

Minsky's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment