Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Port Fonda


Yes, every time I think of Port Fonda, I am reminded of the old Sir Mix-A-Lot song. I have no idea where the name comes from, but no matter what the name is, the food is awesome.

You may have seen the renovated Airstream trailer sitting outside of the Rieger Hotel with one lucky group that enjoys dinner inside the trailer each night. Although Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda, she does have a table, where you can get an awesome dinner. If you are not the lucky group inside of the trailer, you can order from the walkup window.

When you get up to the walkup order window, the young lady that takes your order is very nice and helpful. You may have a little bit of sticker shock when you see the prices, and the tacos are not the best I have tried (in all fairness, I have had some pretty dang good tacos in my travels), but the Chilequiles are earth shattering. The Chilequiles are tortilla chips that are sauteed in Chorizo and salsa verde, served with: a couple slices of lime, Mexican crema (which is essentially sour cream, for all intensive purposes), and topped with a fried egg. I cannot describe what it is about this combination, but it is incredible (however, I am a sucker for a some salsa verde). Try the Chilequiles with a grapefruit Jarritos. It has been well documented that grapefruit Jarritos is my favorite of all the Jarritos, which is coincidentally the only flavor of Jarritos that I have not seen at Wal-Mart, but I suppose that just gives me an excuse to go out for good Mexican food when I have a craving.

I have not seen Port Fonda in a while, but I do know that they are in the process of opening a restaurant in Westport. I will be interested to see what the menu looks like.

Port Fonda on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment